Sunday, October 20, 2019

Experimenting with different growing techniques

I promised myself that I would do some experiments with different growing techniques this season but I forgot, until I discovered some small sprouted tubers that I forgot to plant a couple of months ago.

These were forgotten in a paper bag in the garage until I accidently kicked it with my foot and they fell out.

I aim to conduct two experiments this year. This first one is growing with three popular methods.



First method is cutting the tuber into pieces with at least one eye in each piece
Unfortunately these were only small tubers, too small for cutting into pieces so I just cut one of the eyes out with a piece of tuber for nourishment.








The second method is to just pick off each of the growing sprouts and pop it into a pot

This can be a fast method of building up stock plants if you only have a few well sprouted tubers but you have to be careful in case the sprout rots.


The third method is the one I do because I can be lazy, it is just to plant the tubers whole.





I popped them in pots to be planted out into the ground when they are growing well and healthy.




The second experiment

The second experiment will be done in a month when I harvest my fist spuds as I don't have any spare now.

I will measure the production of one variety in a number of different types of grow bags, in different spacings (such as one tuber in a grow bag compared to three in the same size and type of bag, and compare them with a plants grown in the ground.

I will also try to make a video of harvesting them to make it easier for you to see how each method works.

No comments:

Post a Comment