Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Protecting my young plants from heat



With our first heatwave of the season starting today (we have been lucky so far in southern Vic) I went out early this morning to cover my young potato TPS seedlings. I can't afford to lose them as I wasn't able to gather much seed last season.
Since my poor and sandy soil dries out and heats up so quickly in hot weather I have to use shadecloth on the seedlings, but the older plants are able to cope a lot better - of course if they don't cope they self select themselves out of the gene pool.

I have been covering some of the other beds with wood chips as I harvest them to help keep the soil moist and cooler for the second crop of the season.





I have harvested most of the first crop and have been pretty pleased with the results. I did bin one variety from last year because it had recognisable levels of glycoalkaloides but so far most have been pretty good.

I have my little potato tubers store up now and have had quite a few orders already.
www.gardenlarder.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment