Thursday, October 17, 2019

Trying to find this pest

Still waiting on the new seedlings to get big enough to get their first transplant, but that is a couple of weeks away yet, so there is not a lot to do at the moment except a bit of weeding.



 Most of the varieties are now getting little flower buds on them now.
Since I have not given them much fertiliser and the soil here is pretty poor the plants are not as big as I would like them to be but I am experimenting to see how they go with little inputs to make it easier to select the best varieties to keep.

Last week I was complaining about an insect that is skeletonising most of my potato plants.

I have tried many things but I can't catch the buggers so I still don't know what they are.

I can't see them on the leaves at any time of the day, I have put down a number of traps (rolled up cardboard and some oil/soy, and honey/soy), and I have spread some snail bait in case it is snails. I haven't caught anything but a couple of baby earwigs, nothing to show me what could be causing such damage.

Many of the plants are so affected that they are stunted and I don't have much faith that they will produce much in the way of tubers.

I haven't had this problem before and if the next crop also gets affected I will have to spray to protect the plants.

At least I have found a few varieties that seem to be resistant to this pest and are growing normally.


Sorry about the short length of this post, there isn't a lot more to talk about at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment